Shopping for hearing aids can be a troublesome, agonizing experience, but it doesn’t have to be. Hearing aids are not by concept something an individual is excited to shop for or something that the average person knows that much about, when you put those attributes together it can be a recipe for stress and anxiety. But, no worries! We’ve compiled a list of tips for shopping for hearing aids so that you may feel confident in your search!
Four Tips to Follow When Shopping for a Hearing Aid:
- Ask for recommendations – One of the first steps of sourcing a good quality medical answer is to find a provider that you trust. Ask your doctor and your friends for recommendations for providers that they feel would fit well with your needs. It isn’t a bad idea to get a recommendation for both an ear specialist (an otolaryngologist) and an audiologist. A specialist will help diagnose your hearing issues and the best course of action. An Audiologist will help lead you in the right direction to finding a hearing aid that will work with your lifestyle and needs.
- Take notes – While you are searching for a provider take down notes about your lifestyle and times where you’ve found hearing a problem. This will come in handy when you are meeting with your provider about your hearing loss and potential hearing aids.
- Go prepared –Make sure you have all of the necessary paperwork with you when you go to see an audiologist. You’ll need to have a medical clearance or waiver signed by your physician or specialist. You’ll also want to bring your insurance information and know if your insurance provider covers hearing aid costs or portions of your costs.
- Be patient – It can take some time to get in your hearing aid order– usually a couple of weeks. After they arrive plan on doing a fairly lengthy fitting session in order to make sure the hearing aids are the right fit for you ears. Expect to return a few times to fine-tune your hearing aids and their fit.
These four tips should help you on your way to finding hearing aids that are comfortable, fit into your lifestyle, and improve your overall quality of life.
More information on how to shop for hearing aids:
- Huffington Post shared a great article titled How to Shop for a Hearing Aid
- Steps to Obtaining Hearing Aids from the Cleveland Clinic